Monday, June 21, 2004

Fa Sheezy Ma Neezy

It's offizzle: Izzle is over. Once Snoop heard that Fran Drescher was rockin' the Izzle in an Old Navy ad, he put a stop to the madness. Too bad he wasn't around to kill off "Don't go there!" It was one thing to hear it from Wanda Sykes. But when your dad started using it too, you know it had jumped a whole mess of sharks.

Hip Hop Dork Completist Update: OK OK...Snoop just popularized the Izzle. E-40 created it. As 40 states in his viceland interview:
I was the first one who put it out there real tough in 1996 on my song “Rappers Ball.” We were saying “fo’ sheezy,” and “fo’ shizzle.” [...] Then I took it to “fo’ shiggedy”, to “fo’ shiggadough” and now “fo’ shiggadale,” that’s the newest. You know, it don’t stop. [...] Even before this rap game my ear’s always been to the street. I’ve been making up slang words since the first grade, you smell me? I stay coming with something to keep the game interesting. I tell ’em the rap game without 40 is like old folks without bingo.
Don't worry, dude, we're smelling ya.

On the stereo: De La Soul, "Buddy" (Native Tongues Decision); Stetsasonic, "Talking All That Jazz" (12" Version)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home