Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Gay Tweens!

One of the joys of Pandora is discovering the name of a godawful eurotrash dance track you only hear at Gold's Gym or a gay bar.

The newest discovery for me is "Stay" by Mynt. For my purposes, the song itself is irrelevant: some heavily echoed female sings asks for me to "put sugar on her pain." Whatever, dude. What really interests me is figuring out how these people make money.

It's clear that this must be a singles-driven market. Even though Mynt has released a full-length album (Still Not Sorry), even they can't possibly believe that royalties from the LP will cover the mortgage. I mean, who's going to buy it, really. Gays? Tweens? Gay tweens?

I'm not sure anybody beyond the core gay tween demographic would even buy the single, and I'm pretty sure the gay tweens aren't buying it either. They're too busy ripping it off Limewire.

Thus, the money in this single must come from licensing it to cable music services. But how much money can that be? Surely not enough to keep the sultry Kim Sozzi (guest chanteuse on "Stay") shod in Manolos.

But what do I know? This song is probably hella blowing up in Belgium.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"hella blowing up in Belgium" - really? "hella blowing?"

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home