Friday, August 13, 2004

Uff Da!

Thursday night is track night at Kezar Stadium. Last night we ran intervals: 400 meter and 800 meter sprints. Let me tell you, that stuff is HARD.

We started with a 15-minute jog around the stadium, then did about 10 minutes of stretching. That was followed 8 rounds of intervals. The big dogs did 2x400 meters and 6x800 meters. I did 7x400 and 1x800. Which is PLENTY.

My times weren't bad. I maintained a 1:40 average for 400 meters, mid-pack to slightly faster than mid-pack. Of course, there were some guys who ran the 800 in 2:45.

As I wheezed on the grass between intervals I reminded myself (1) that I'm not a marathoner (I'm training for off-road triathlons), (2) that I've never run an interval in my life and (3) that comparing myself to marathoners (and most of the people there were marathoners) was not helpful. I don't have to be good, I told myself. I'm just striving for adequacy.

Mark did well too. His average was about 1:44 for 400 meters. Not bad for a guy who hasn't stepped inside the gym for most of the summer.

I thought I'd be dead this morning, but I feel all right. My knees are a little sore going up and down stairs, but that's about it.

Back to Tamarancho tomorrow morning for more mountain biking. No teeter totter this time, though. I don't want a free burger that bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home