Friday, September 16, 2005

Jockstraps

Last night I was down in the garage working on my bike. Since I was going to be downstairs anyway, I decided to do some laundry. As these things happen, I got caught up in doing a bunch of things and forgot my laundry until just before bedtime. When I went downstairs to retrieve my laundry, I found it sitting on top of the dryer. I put my laundry in the basket and went upstairs.

As I was folding my laundry, I discovered that a jockstrap had made its way into my basket. At first I didn't know what it was. It was this tiny black web of elastic and mesh. Once I got it untangled and looked at it properly, I realized what a ridiculous thing it was. How on earth was this tiny little patch of mesh supposed to keep my boss safe and sound? And even if by some miracle it could, why would I want to bother with untangling the elastic straps? They were thin and short and certain to chafe.

What's more, by all appearances this was a traditional jock. Although ridiculously tiny, it didn't look like it came out of the International Male catalog. The brand name was "Safetgard," which sure sounds like a regular guy jock brand name to me. But maybe the jockstrap has become so marginalized that all jockstraps are novelty wear nowadays.

Call me crazy, but I didn't see anything in the jockstrap that a decent pair of briefs couldn't do better. Except maybe invoke desire. But you'd have to ask Scott about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home