Monday, September 06, 2004

Fact Checkers Anonymous

Based on my successful debunking of the Carol Channing story, I have been asked to fact check a few more items.

Item 1: What is that tree behind Charles and Michael's apartment?
Earlier, I suggested that it was a Monkey Puzzle tree. Monkey Puzzle trees are native to Chile. They are distinguished by large spade-shaped needles that cover the trunk and branches. They derive their name from an Englishman in the 1800s who thought the tree would be a puzzle for a monkey to climb. It's an odd name. While there are plenty of monkeys in South America (see, e.g., the marmoset), they are not native to the Monkey Puzzle tree's habitat.
While I am still not certain what variety of tree stands behind their apartment, I am willing to guess that it is a Norfolk pine.

Item 2: What medical condition did Charles' ex-boyfriend have?
Charles remembered that his ex had "cataplepsy." "Cataplepsy" appears to be a non-standard variation of the word "catalepsy." While I understood catalepsy to mean a state of suspended animation, the term apparently refers to "a state of excited or inhibited motor activity, in the absence of a mood disorder...or neurological disease." This activity manifests itself in a number of ways, including echolalia, ambitendence and (my favorite) waxy flexibility. <via General Practice Notebook>

Item 3: What is so special about Tallulah Gorge?
Last night I met a very drunk former cheer mascot for Georgia Tech (don't ask). We were having a discussion about the best strip clubs in Atlanta (Club Mons Venus was the hands-down favorite, although the Pink Pony made a strong showing as an alternate. If you're looking for the fellas, try Swinging Richards (get it?)).
Anyway, when Jason learned that I have never been to Atlanta, he put on his Chamber of Commerce hat and regaled me with news of the finest things Georgia has to offer the outdoor enthusiast. One outdoor delight is the laser light show at Stone Mountain, where the Confederate Army comes to life...with lasers! Another is Tallulah Gorge, which is the 2nd most something something* in the US after the Grand Canyon.
Well, I did some digging, and it seems that while Tallulah Gorge is not the 2nd most anything anything in the US, it is a mighty fine place to go rock climbing.

Late Breaking Item!
Item 4: Where is Anonymous' Fast Pass?
Anonymous asked, Where is my Fast Pass?
Good gravy, bud, I'm a fact checker, not the Oracle at Delphi. I have no idea where your Fast Pass is.


* As I said, he was mighty drunk.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the facts, Mike V. It's nice that I can always count on you. I have one more thing I need you to find out: Where did I leave my Fast Pass?

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home