Sunday, November 07, 2004

In Case You Were Wondering...

SF Gate has a short piece on the 42 (or 43 or 53, depending on how you count 'em) hills of San Francisco. How Mt. Olympus, with its storied history, did not make the author's Top 20 is unfathomable. However, the article noted that Mt. Olympus rises 570 feet above sea level, which should give some good indication of the ad hoc cardio session I get every day coming home from work.

-------------------------------

And another thing, it turns out that I ran a personal best in the 400m and 1200m last Thursday. I ran the 400m in 1:29 and the 1200m in something like 5:25. I sure wasn't trying for a personal best. What I was actually trying to do was smoke these two girls.

See, what happened was this. Last week was an easy training week for me. My goal at track was to run a steady 1:50 pace for all intervals, regardless of distance. But these two new girls showed up. Their modus operandi was to run just behind me for 700m, then pass me on the final straightaway.1 Both girls were tiny, so they took lots of tiny little steps. In every set all I heard was this scurrying behind me.

Whatever. Behind this mild-mannered exterior lies the heart of a raging Type A personality. I don't like to get passed by anybody, much less by scurrying girls. So in the final 400m interval I decided to go for it. I set my pace to that of Gwyneth, a Fast Chick. Needless to say, the Scurrying Girls were left sucking dust.2



1. The girls ran a maximum of 800m, even on the 1200m intervals.
2. Or mist. It had rained earlier that day and the track was wet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home